
My wife and I celebrated our 31st anniversary today. I skipped lunch at work and left an hour early so we could go to a movie. Our daughter had given us some coupons for the movie theatre. We went and saw Shrek III. It was silly but fun. Another job well done. I am always amazed at the computer graphics in these movies. So realistic. In another life I want to grow up and be a graphic artist in the movies, see my name in the credits. It looks like a fun job.
Finished my first quarter at Massage school this past week. In all three classes I was at about 90%. I have amazed myself that I did so well under such conditions; sleepless nights studying, long work days etc. Now I can move on to my next series of classes only this time I will only take two. Two classes will be 6 hours a week and still be pushing my limits but I am told that these two classes are best taken at the same time. Besides I don't want to be a really old man graduating from Massage school. As it is I will be in my mid fifties. Is this a midlife crisis? Changing careers at my age? Or will I just be adding a career? It might take me a while to build up a clientele so I will probably be doing RV work for many years to come. I still have the dream of turning our lower level of our house into a day spa as well as the grounds. There would be a lot of work to make it presentable. I have also given thought to renting a room out to a boarder but finding the right match for our home and lifestyle would be tricky. We have done the boarder thing before but if we do it again I will be very picky about who I share my home with. Not that the people before were not nice but it was just not a good match. It is almost like having a spouse and if you are not compatible with the person, no matter how nice they are, it can be miserable.
Met some cool people at school this past quarter. Several are going in different directions with their classes so I may not see them again. I hope to keep in touch, the study times were fun. Most of my fellow students this past quarter were women and it was nice to be accepted as one of the gang. Since my good friend and hiking partner moved away several years ago it has been difficult for me to feel that I fit in with the opposite gender like I used to. Not having a best buddy to talk to like I had before, I have felt out of balance. It also did not help in the beginning of the quarter when in the hands-on massage class the women tended to gravitate toward each other and leave myself and the one other male in class to work on each other. I understand the reluctance to have a strange male learning massage on you but it did not help my self-esteem to feel what felt like rejection. If felt good when it felt they started accepting the guys. Also I had a few good talks with one of my instructors about some of the things I was going through. She helped me figure a bunch of stuff out. Anyway, moving on, meeting some new classmates and reuniting with some old ones in a few weeks.
I hope everyone has a safe and fun summer.
Finished my first quarter at Massage school this past week. In all three classes I was at about 90%. I have amazed myself that I did so well under such conditions; sleepless nights studying, long work days etc. Now I can move on to my next series of classes only this time I will only take two. Two classes will be 6 hours a week and still be pushing my limits but I am told that these two classes are best taken at the same time. Besides I don't want to be a really old man graduating from Massage school. As it is I will be in my mid fifties. Is this a midlife crisis? Changing careers at my age? Or will I just be adding a career? It might take me a while to build up a clientele so I will probably be doing RV work for many years to come. I still have the dream of turning our lower level of our house into a day spa as well as the grounds. There would be a lot of work to make it presentable. I have also given thought to renting a room out to a boarder but finding the right match for our home and lifestyle would be tricky. We have done the boarder thing before but if we do it again I will be very picky about who I share my home with. Not that the people before were not nice but it was just not a good match. It is almost like having a spouse and if you are not compatible with the person, no matter how nice they are, it can be miserable.
Met some cool people at school this past quarter. Several are going in different directions with their classes so I may not see them again. I hope to keep in touch, the study times were fun. Most of my fellow students this past quarter were women and it was nice to be accepted as one of the gang. Since my good friend and hiking partner moved away several years ago it has been difficult for me to feel that I fit in with the opposite gender like I used to. Not having a best buddy to talk to like I had before, I have felt out of balance. It also did not help in the beginning of the quarter when in the hands-on massage class the women tended to gravitate toward each other and leave myself and the one other male in class to work on each other. I understand the reluctance to have a strange male learning massage on you but it did not help my self-esteem to feel what felt like rejection. If felt good when it felt they started accepting the guys. Also I had a few good talks with one of my instructors about some of the things I was going through. She helped me figure a bunch of stuff out. Anyway, moving on, meeting some new classmates and reuniting with some old ones in a few weeks.
I hope everyone has a safe and fun summer.

No comments:
Post a Comment