So far this has been a pretty good weekend. I have not had any need to get dressed since Friday night, as we have had no company up here. It has been wonderful to have that freedom after wondering most of the summer when the roommate would show up; I kept my shorts close by. I have been able to go about my business here on our land without even thinking about needing shorts. I guess that is my dilemma in life – I like it both ways but can’t have both at the same time. I cherish my time when I can be free of clothing – which means that there is no company here but I also like to have company sometimes to have some camaraderie in my life. We don’t get much company up here in the boonies but when we do most folks just usually meld in with the harmony here and take in the peace, the quiet and, like us, just leave the world behind and relax. I love watching people make that transition almost as much as I love spending my time free of cloth. Of course there are a few people that can’t stand how quiet it is up here and are glad to get back to the hustle and bustle of city life. I had a couple of hiking opportunities that did not pan out this weekend and perhaps I might get a call today from someone I had written to that had posted on Craig’s list. I am not going to get my hopes up though. Also had a guy write asking if I wanted to go on a nude hike on a popular trail but I won’t do that. I won’t take the chance of meeting and offending textile hikers. I might enjoy our land and the Clothing Optional beaches in the buff but the thought of someone being shocked or offended by my body goes against my desire to help people feel comfortable. The bulk of society is not ready for nudity – yet. Hopefully someday but not yet. Actually I have been on a few very liberating hikes with my old hiking buddy where I felt she and I were secluded enough to hike bare but we were out in logging country on overgrown old skid roads where there was no recent signs of human activity. If the probability of meeting someone is even fair I will keep my clothes on. As I was saying, it has been a pretty good weekend. I finished applying the Olympic wood sealer to the West Deck and we got the last of the firewood cut up, split and stacked in the shed. We still need to get some wood in for the following winter but I don’t like to go cut and gather wood in this heat. The fire danger is too high. I would rather wait until later in the fall when the fire danger is lower. It worked pretty good last year to get a log truck load but we need to scout a place that has a lot of scrap logs laying about – enough to make a load and not too far from home to keep the cost down. There has been plenty of time for relaxing this weekend too. Spent some time out by the ponds reading my book and watching the fish. I am really glad we put in the series of ponds. They just add to the relaxed atmosphere here. After a long day at work I love standing at the railing of the deck watching the water flow through the streams and ponds. The sound of all the water moving, splashing, washes the cares of the day away.Dad seems to be holding his own. Friday night I had just got home from work, tossed my work clothes over the back of the couch and was getting a bite to eat when Dad called saying that he did not think he was going to make it through the night. Dad has had some medical problems and is at the state where if anything else goes wrong he just wants to be allowed to go. He wanted someone there to keep him comfortable that night. I told him that as he was across the valley it would take me at least forty minutes to get there. He said that nothing was imminent and to get some food before coming. I grabbed my work clothes from the back of the couch and took them up to the bedroom, found some clothes and got dressed to leave. I could not find my car keys. They had been in my work pants but were gone. My sister called from Sherwood to say they were heading to Dad’s also and would meet me there. Finally, after searching everywhere I found my keys had slide behind a cushion on the couch when I had tossed my work pants there. I grabbed a can of olives, a chunk of goat cheese and a package of crackers to eat as I drove down to and across the valley. When I got to Dad’s my sister was already there, Dad was resting comfortably. Soon three more of the siblings were there, five of the seven of us. Having us there seemed to rejuvenate Dad. One of my sisters got Dad some food and he was his old self again soon, joking and telling stories of the old days. He decided that he would be OK for the night, that no one needed to stay with him. The last few days we have been taking turns calling him to make sure that he is eating and is OK. He and I are alike when it comes to food. I will often forget to eat until I get to the point I get the shakes then it takes forever for the food I do eat to kick in and get my strength back. Like right now. I need to go get something to eat.…… Besides I have written more then I intended and more than anyone will want to read.
Monday September 4, 2006 - 10:34am (PDT)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment