The dozen batteries have held up better then I thought they would. Voltage was at 11 volts this morning and the fans were still going. I shut down the fans to conserve the power, allowed the fire to go out in the fireplace and switched to heating with the wood stove in the kitchen. We still had enough battery power to run the TV for the news then shut it back down. The only things running off the batteries is a lamp that my wife is reading by and my laptop. I can't imagine it taking too much longer to clear all the fallen trees and string new lines. But then I have no idea how much more there is for them to repair. Coming home the other night there were all the usual lights on the surrounding hills. Last night I went into town and bought block ice for the fridge and freezer. It seems to be keeping things cool but not frozen in the freezer. As long as the food does not spoil. Today we raked all the fallen branches from the driveway. I had hooked an old metal bath tub on the blade of the tractor and we hauled several heaping loads of windfall to the burn pile. The old bathtub worked pretty good. Like a bucket that I could raise and lower. Only drawback is that I can't dump it without getting off the tractor and unhooking it. Have to still do some manual labor. At least it is better then a wheel barrow and bigger too.
Saturday December 16, 2006 - 06:34pm (PST)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment