
My massage school set up a teaching weekend at Breitenbush hot springs (click on link) in the foothills of the Cascade Mtns this past weekend. It was a great weekend - Friday afternoon to Sunday afternoon. Even though it was only two days and two nights it seemed like it was a lot longer - but in a good way, there was just a lot packed into those two days. Even so, it was over too quickly. I could have stayed there for a few weeks - or more. (After talking to one of the staff and relating my technical experience he encouraged me to apply for a summer job) I learned a lot with our practice massages in the lodge. I also spent a lot of time between classes and practice sessions in the clothing optional hot pools out in the meadow. I, of course, took the option to be bare as did most others. It was great to be around other people that were comfortable with their bodies. I am not around people like that very often and it was a refreshing and pleasant change. A few people had difficulty with the nudity issues but they just stayed away from the pools and tubs. From a psychological point of view it was interesting to observe the different comfort levels and how the different people dealt with all of it. Most people got into the spirit of things by the end of the weekend but some did not and probably never will. I think that in this line of work that we are learning, working with the body, there needs to be a good comfort level with the body. I think that is what the school is trying to nurture. Nothing was pushed on anyone but the opportunity for personal growth was provided. Most took the weekend as a learning experience both personally and professionally and some just got the massage lessons. I am greatful for both lessons. I have learned a lot in both areas in the past quarter.
Back to the books, another test tonight.
A disclaimer: the photo is not mine, it is from the Breitenbush website
Monday May 14, 2007 - 12:04pm (PDT)

No comments:
Post a Comment